Tuesday 11 August 2020

Are You Highly Sensitive and/or Empathic?

I started out life as a highly sensitive, lonely, only child growing up outside Austin, Texas.

Highly sensitive and empathic, the world was a bewildering place at times, so the animals were my best friends.  I could trust them, they could trust me. They spoke to me, shared their hearts and minds, their insights and viewpoints about the world we lived in together.

In fact, I became known as the child who had a way with animals – all animals, domestic and wild. When I was with the animals, I felt at peace and happy, accepted and loved.  I found comfort in the fact that I didn’t have to defend myself from attack or lies or manipulations.  I could be myself authentically, vulnerably, honestly, and speak my Truth.

They “got” me.  I “got” them.

It was humans who made me crazy.

To my dismay and horror, as I grew up I discovered that humans didn’t always tell the truth.  They had hidden agendas, unspoken requests and needs, and often lied outright not just to me but to themselves and others, because as best I could tell, they actually believed (or tried to believe) what they were saying was the truth.

People habitually manipulated, abused and bullied other beings, both people and animals.

The many confusing social experiences made me doubt my own knowing and distrust my intuition because I thought the problems were with me.

Was I at fault or somehow responsible for what they were saying or doing?

highly sensitive children feel bullied
Maybe I was wrong, and what I thought I knew was a lie.  If that was the case, then I was deeply and irrevocably flawed…  As I imploded into a dark deep hole of hopelessness, fear and despair, I became manically depressed by the time I turned 12 years old, and suicidal by the time I turned 15.

On those dark nights of the soul, when I was in agony trying to heal from the latest wounds of the day, I would sneak out after my parents had gone to bed and go to the stable.

The only place that always made sense to me, where I felt at home and could be myself was with the animals.

My mare Maisie would nicker softly in welcome when she heard me coming.  I would throw my arms around her neck, burying my face in her thick black mane, and sob, pouring out my heart to her as my tears fell.

Val Heart and Maisie the Wise

 

Maisie would patiently listen, then offer me the wisest of counsel.

She would coach me on seeing the painful experiences from a different viewpoint, one I’d never considered before and from the new perspective things which would make more sense.

She would tell me her own stories, sometimes they made me cry in sorrow for her and the life of a horse.  And sometimes they would make me smile.

Sometimes she would make me laugh through my tears by telling me a joke or something outrageously funny.

Oh, how I treasured those moments in the dark with her my most trusted friend.

Maisie the Wise saved my life, day after day after day.

And then I turned 18 years old and I moved away to start my own life as an adult.

It took many years and many animals and many many experiences with therapists, counselors, churches, healing and spiritual explorations for me to become who I am today.

I use everything I’ve learned along the way to help others as a way to pay it forward who are also sick, sad, tired, depressed or even suicidal whether they are in human or animal forms.

I believe animals are angels, teachers, guides and healers.

via GIPHY

They are on loan to us from God.  There is a reason they are in your life.

I also believe that anyone can learn how to communicate with animals because everyone has an innate intuitive sense that can be developed, deepened, expanded on and improved.

To me this game of life is about healing, evolving and growing into our best self and so we have many teachers.  And many of those are master teachers disguised as animals. 

So that brings us to the issue at hand, can you better communicate and understand people by learning how to communicate with animals?

Can you heal your highly sensitive and empathic, maybe even wounded self by communicating with animals?

Absolutely!  I’m living proof.

If you’re highly sensitive and maybe empathic too – many of my students are – then here’s a few recommended resources for you.

Just click the book titles to find out more:

the Highly Sensitive Person    The Gift of Being a Highly Sensitive Person

  Loving What IsThe Power of Focusing  

The Empath's Survival Guide   The Four Agreements

Want more? 

 

I’ve put many of my all time favorite books and resources into my Amazon Heart Store!  Check them out here

 

If you don’t want to take the time to read would prefer to get healing now, then let’s work together.  Click to discover how I can guide you to be strong, whole, happy and healthy:  www.ValHeart.com  

 

The post Are You Highly Sensitive and/or Empathic? appeared first on Val Heart.



source https://valheart.com/are-you-highly-sensitive-and-or-empathic/

No comments:

Post a Comment